When you are young, there are thousands of things that you feel like doing. You have a whole life right in front of your eyes. There is a beautiful path that leads to your goal and you are absolutely up for any task that comes in your way to help you reach your ambition. However, the story somehow changes when you turn old. There are many things that you still wish to do, but the path seems blurred and the goal turns into a silhouette. Thus, for those already in the twilight of their lives, it is essential to have someone who undertands these feelings and is actually qualified to give a hand. An empathic person with a certificate iii in aged care can help the elderly still have the chance to grow as persons.
If you are planning to be a walking stick to the aged crowd, following are the six qualities that you must possess:
1) Patience – You can’t even imagine handling the aged people without having a hell lot of patience in yourself. It is essential for you to sit next to them and, at times, listen to their same stories over and over again, so that they cherish the good old moments and are brought out of the haunting memories of their past.
2) Caring attitude towards people – Unless you have that quality to care for others, there’s no point in doing certificate iii in aged care.Every elderly person needs to be cared because that’s the reason you are hired for. Sometimes, the sons and daughters of the aged crowd hire you so that you take care of their parents or grandparents just the way they do, but are unable to, because of lack of time.
3) Understanding the emotions of the aged crowd – This is one of the things that you are taught before you get the certificate iii in aged care. You need to understand that sometimes, there is no difference between a toddler and an old man. Both need equal attention and motivation to do different tasks on their own.
4) Loving attitude towards people – Caring and loving are two different qualities. Unless you love the elderly people, feel their helplessness and love them like your parents or grandparents, you need to think some more if the job is for you. You must build connection with the people you take care of, no matter how less or high you are paid for your tasks.
5) Calm and peaceful mind – You may go through hundreds of problems in your life, but when you are hired to take care of an elderly person, you need to make sure that you keep yourself calm and at peace. Unless you are at peace, you can never distribute the same to the others that you treat or take care of.
6) Motivating the elderly crowd – You are the only one who can motivate the aged people that you take care of to opt for their dreams, if some of them are yet to achieve them. You are taught to help them believe that a human lives for as long as he is alive and there is life in every moment that he lives.